Tuesday, January 4, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great Christmas (etc.) and New Year.  Christmas was a bit quiet around here without Dave.  Not that we have rip roaring time when he is here, it is usually just family if we stay in Illinois and simple.  But it just wasn't the same with out him here.  When he went to Kosovo, he was able to fly back for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but he opted out this year.  I know he wanted to be home, but it is also not good for the LTC to be taking leave either!  I think that it is a bit easier on the kids to not see him again though, it would be hard to have to say good-bye yet another time! 
On Christmas day, Dave went out in the field to wish all of his guys happy holidays.  If you now Dave at all, you know that he really wants to be with his guys at all times, and also be where the "action" is.  I know that he is a bit upset that he isn't out there enough, but being higher up in rank means being in on the planning of things, which means sitting around a desk sometimes!  He says to thank all of you for your cards, letters and care packages, he appreciates them!  Just know that when you send him goodies, he will share them, not just keep them for himself, so don't be upset if you hear that all the guys enjoyed your stuff! 
We really aren't hearing much from him that often, mostly it is via email.  The phone lines are often tied up, and with the time difference, it is hard for him to wait in line for a phone when he could be sleeping.  He hasn't even had time to go and look into Skype yet....(you think he could delegate better!)  Naturally, he won't tell me much about what he is doing....not sure if I even want to know all of it, or the extent of it. It is easiest to just sit here and think that he is sitting behind a desk ordering people around!!  (I dream big!)
As usual, I will pass on anything that I can when I hear it.  It is hard being in Illinois and not where all of the stuff is going on in Iowa.  I guess they are having some kind of "build your soldier a care package" thing going on, and many other things planned.  I don't like driving this time of year, and making one of the get-togethers would be a hard thing to do!  I also have the disadvantage of not knowing any of the wives, so I am out of the "gossip" loop.  Actually, that may be a good thing!  If I hear of anything interesting for families, I will pass it on to those of you in Iowa!

Well, tata for now, talk soon!  Love to all of you!  :O)

No comments: